Garbage Disposal Repair and Replacement in Topeka
Some people misuse their garbage disposal appliances. We field many calls that involve garbage disposal repair and replacement for this very reason. Some garbage disposals aren’t made very well and aren’t designed for the environment they are in.
Garbage disposals are usually meant to only handle light food residue that is washed from plates, utensils and cookware before being placed in the dishwasher. When large amounts of food debris get placed inside a garbage disposal, it causes the appliance to stop working and can even clog the kitchen sink drain.
If your garbage disposal is making a humming noise but doesn’t spin, try following these do-it-yourself instructions to repair your garbage disposal:
- Press the reset button located at the bottom of the garbage disposal.
- If resetting the disposal doesn’t fix the issue, turn off the power switch.
- Shine a light into the drain.
- Try locating any possible foreign objects that could be obstructing the disposal.
- Unplug the disposal.
- Remove the object with a set of pliers. Do not place your hand into the disposal.
- Check to see if your disposal has an Allen wrench or clearing tool. It may be attached to the disposal itself.
- Insert the tool into the slot at the bottom of the disposal. Turn back and forth to clear the jam.
Many clogged kitchen sink drains are caused by a poor garbage disposal. There are a lot of sizes, powers, grind stages and noise levels for garbage disposals. They should be chosen with the cooking and usage habits of the homeowner in mind. Finding the right garbage disposal for your home and family is an important job, and when done correctly, it can save you from a major headache in the future.
If the above steps don’t fix the issue, contact the professionals at Pat Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning. We are experts at garbage disposal plumbing services and will help you find the disposal that is right for you. We can immediately repair or replace your broken garbage disposal and clear your kitchen drain.